TELL ME YOUR FEELINGS
INTO IT. i’m a bad person so i saw the movie beforehand, and not only that, but on a plane while still kind of under the effects of ambien.
i’m pretty sure anything i have to say is not as good as any other commentary i read, but i was super into the “katniss’s strengths are in survival but she struggles with performance/peeta is good at performance but kind of naive” dynamic (because this is unusual for GENDER REASONS) pissed that i know because spoilers that katniss doesn’t end up leading the revolution single & babyless, but you can’t have everything.
i read a lot of it yesterday outside in the two-hour gap between my classes, and it was a little too hot and ants kept biting me but i didn’t move because like i mean if katniss is starving then what kind of baby would i be?
before i read it i got in a debate with my mom because she claimed there wasn’t any like, race commentary between katniss/her mom and prim, and i was like, “i’m pretty sure that is not correct, based on what i have read on the internet,” and my mom was like, “yeah but you haven’t seen the movie OR read the book” and i was like, “point” but anyways i’m right so HA sorry mom (hi mom) (my mom reads my tumblr)
also when i told lonna i hadn’t read them she was like, “good lord” because she’s a young adult librarian. who judges.
ok what was the thing about the hunger games nail polish? i’m too lazy to look it up but wasn’t it like, “they made nail polishes based on the tributes, realized it was insensitive to make nail polishes based on dead children, made them based on the districts instead,” or something? “nail polishes based around dead children” is actually the most appropriate hunger games merch i could even think of. i could see that happening in the books. i guess they changed it because we are not in that much of a dystopia.
yeah basically this is the sort of thing i would have been sooooooo into in middle school. literally nothing baby katy loved more than baby dystopias.
- ourcatastrophe said: i FOR REAL cannot wait to hear what you think about performance in the later books, I disagree with syrja that it’s less of a theme in book 3 also
- ourcatastrophe likes this
- drueblogs reblogged this from katydidnot and added:
- rgr-pop reblogged this from katydidnot and added:
- rgr-pop likes this
- laff-riot said: the performance elements are SO what drew me in. they’re there in book 2 but kind of weaken disappointingly in book 3. but still so worth it and the nail polish makes for such interesting metacommentary and, just, YES.
- squidlfishous likes this
- laff-riot likes this
- katydidnot posted this