here is my general guide to creating a vegetable soup!
this is what it looks like (with pesto):
like before, i have bolded what i actually did to make this soup.
WHAT YOU DEFINITELY NEED:
BASE: like four cans of vegetable broth
VEGETABLES: definitely an onion, and a few more from the list below. it’s up to you.
HERBS/SPICES: definitely garlic, and like at least three or four more suggested spices… some salt and pepper too.
here are some options of those things:
BASE: add tomato paste.
VEGETABLES: carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, bell pepper, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli, or like seriously any vegetable you think would be good in it (squash?)
HERBS/SPICES: creole, thyme, bay leaf, dill, basil, rosemary, garlic, cumin, sage (i used fresh but you don’t need it), salt and pepper, parsley (wow i actually used all of my recommended spices)
HERE ARE SOME ADDITIONAL THINGS YOU CAN DO:
- if you are not vegetarian and want to add meat, add sausage, bacon, or pancetta while sautéing onion. for the above recipe, i added andouille sausage because i had some left over.
- put red or green lentils in it to make it a lentil vegetable soup. you should probably do this when you add the broth. i’ll tell you if i ever try how that works out.
- add some vinegar. i did this but i’m not sure if i added enough to notice.
- make it with pesto! that is what i did and it is DELICIOUS. my improvised pesto recipe below.
basic pesto recipe:
food-process together fresh basil leaves, parmesan, some kind of nut (almonds and pecans are GREAT! walnuts aren’t because they’ll make the whole thing taste bitter. pinenuts are probably good but you might get pine mouth) about a clove of garlic, olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar together. adjust the proportions accordingly until it looks and tastes like pesto.
you can also add roasted red peppers to that to make roasted red pepper pesto. this might be a good idea if you, like me, don’t have very much basil. did not do this though. i’ve made it in non-soup situations before though and it’s great.
- in huge soup pan, saute onion and garlic, (and meat if using) in olive oil til onion is translucent
- add all your other vegetables. season it! pour in a bunch of spices on it. cook them for a while.
- add the vegetable stock (and tomato paste) bring to boil, while it’s doing that just add a shitload more spices, or to your taste.
- cover and let simmer ~15-30 mins
- put pesto on it if you made it.
as you can see i basically copied and pasted the recipe from last time and made minute changes. that is because soup is easy.
- somepositiveenergies likes this
- distractionsandcontradictions likes this
- rgr-pop likes this
- presentwonder likes this
- mystickynotes reblogged this from katydidnot and added:
- grapesodadotcom likes this
- squidlfishous likes this
- ssshutuppp likes this
- feministinthekitchen likes this
- clambistro likes this
- katydidnot posted this